Friday, March 19, 2010

A composting life

I started composting about 2 years ago. I researched composting using a large Tupperware bin instead of purchasing a container specific for composting. I really didn't think I would be able to fill it and I wasn't sure if I would like composting. I started with picking up all the twigs and leaves in my yard. The nice thing was that I was cleaning my yard at the same time. To my surprise my neighbor had a compost bin that she never used, so she offered it to me. I took her up on the offer. In the beginning, I put big sticks and all vegetable scraps in the composter. I soon realised that the sticks were not a good idea because they took up lots of space and delayed the actual composting time. I need to only use small twigs or break the sticks up into small pieces. So, in the beginning my composting was slow. After 2 years, I feel like I am a pro composter, I am even ready to get another composting bin because my current bin is always full. Since I recycle and compost, the amount of garbage that the garbage collectors pick up is minimal. Some weeks I do not have any garbage for them to pickup! I recommend composting, it rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...