Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Easiest tutorial ever

When I think of Spring, I think of garden parties, and pretty place settings. So, I thought I should make napkins for the tutorial today. 

Materials: cotton fabric (I used some old sheets) 




Cut out two 11" x 11" squares of coordinating fabric.


Place right sides facing and pin together.


 Stitch along the edges leaving a 4" opening on one side. By the way, I used a 1/4" seam allowance.



Clip the corners at an angle on all four edges.



Pull fabric through through to right sides facing.


Press......


Top stitch along the outside edge of the napkin to create a finished look.

         
Fold napkin in half and press to create a guideline to do a finishing stitch across the fabric.

  

Stitch across the napkin to the opposite corner. Repeat on the other corner to create an "X" top stitch. The top stitch prevents the napkin from wrinkling after washing.

             

 Okay, spring napkin is finished. 



Don't be afraid to mix patterns and colors when creating these napkins. You will be surprised how well they will go together. I make a hobo style shoulder bag that blends together many different fabrics. When I start piecing the bag together, I wonder if the combinations will work, but in the end they do. Thinking outside of the box is a good thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...